Saturday night, 28th was the perhaps the biggest night for participant of the second South Asian Travel Awards (SATA), which had actually begun a week earlier.
SATA Gala & Awards is the night some of the biggest names in the hospitality industry get recognized for exemplary contribution to the industry. Needless to say, this is a prestigious award function one cannot afford to miss in the South Asia region.
This year, more than 450 hospitality brands drawn from Sri Landa, Maldives, India and Nepal came together to compete for awards in over 33 categories under 10 segments.
SATA is the first ever regional hospitality awards that has been recognized and endorsed by many international associations, ensuring that the tourism industry in the South Asian region remains in the limelight. This will in turn encourage and improve industry standards in the region.
The host country, Maldives, received 24 awards as well as Visitors Choice Awards like leading dive destination, leading beach destination and leading honeymoon destination.
In short, Maldives received the following awards:
- Leading Airport Hotel: Hulhule Island Hotel
- Leading Wellness and Spa Brand: Araamu Spa
- Leading Surf Hotels: Cinnamon Dhonveli
- Leading All Inclusive Hotel and Brand: Lux Maldives
- Leading Wellness and Spa: Jumeirah Vittaveli
- Leading Adventure Sports Service Provider: Q Adventures
- Leading Activity Water Sports Centre: Best Dive Maldives
- Leading Tour Operator: Inner Maldives Holidays
- Leading Domestic Tourist Transport Provider (Air): Maldivian
- Leading PSA Service Provide: Voyagers Maldives
- Leading GSA Service Provider: ACE Hardware
- Leading Liveaboard Brand: Voyagers Maldives
- Leading Liveaboard: Scuba Spa Young
- Leading Travel Agent: Voyagers Maldives
- Leading Dive Centre: Dive Ocean
- Leading Boutique Hotel and Resorts: Amilla Fushi
- Leading Guesthouse Tourist Inn: Reveries Diving
- Leading Dive Hotel: Adaaran Select Meedhupparu
- Leading Family Hotel and Resort: Sun Island Resorts and Spa
- Leading Luxury Hotel and Resorts: Soneva Jani
- Leading Romantic Hotel: Jumeirah Vittaveli
- Leading Designer Hotel and Resorts: Cocoon Maldives
- Leading Beach Hotel and Resorts: Summer Islands
- Leading Market Hotel and Resort Brand: Adaaran Resorts
SATA has been endorsed by a number of regional tourism authority including Colombo Chamber of Commerce (CCC), Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry in Sri Lanka (FCCISL), Maldives Marketing and Public Relations Corporation (MMPRC), Maldives Association of Travel Agents and Tour Operators (MATATO), Confederation of Associated Tour Operators (India), Association of Travel and Tour Operators India (ATTOI), Maldives Marketing and Public Relations Corporation (MMPRC), Association of Travel Agents (ATA) Maldives, Liveaboard Association of Maldives (LAM), Association of Professionals in Tourism (APT, India) and Association of Travel and Tour Operators India (ATTOI), among others.